Where is the JUNK folder in Webmail?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
tonymuffin

Where is the JUNK folder in Webmail?

Post by tonymuffin »

I have enabled Mailbox Spam Filder under Webmail options (ME 5.11) and selected 'Move Messages To Junk Mail Folder'. However, there is no JUNK mail folder. Do I need to create this? I have tried creating a JUNK folder however, items are not moved to it?

How does one get this to work in Webmail? :(

tonymuffin

Re: Where is the JUNK folder in Webmail?

Post by tonymuffin »

no one?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The spam rules that are available to the user within the web mail interface will only trigger based on the spam score that is given to a message by the spam protection script. I suggest that you review the following articles to become more familiar as to how messages end up in junk and how the spam protection script works.

Spam faq (spam protection section):
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020391.htm
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020493.htm

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020379.htm
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020529
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tonymuffin

Post by tonymuffin »

That didn't answer my question. The KB articles reference a JUNK email folder. There is no JUNK email folder. Where would one find the JUNK email folder?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The Junk E-Mail folder does not exist by default when a new mailbox is created. The folder is created automatically when a message is to be delivered to the Junk Email folder. If the folder is not being created then I would presume that messages are not being marked as spam. Reasons as to why messages are not delivered to junk can be found within the article I provided earlier.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tonymuffin

Post by tonymuffin »

so... let me get this straight.... You are saying that If within Webmail I setup the SPAM filters, that the JUNK email folder would be created auto"magically". Is this correct? If so... it is NOT!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Is not being created because the message is not being marked as spam by the spam protection script that the web mail spam rules trigger on.
Spam Protection

Spam protection within MailEnable is what we refer to as a super script which is a weighted filtering system that accumulates points for each factor of a message that could be considered spam. The spam protection values can be found in the spam protection service under the Messaging Manager in your MailEnable Administration Program. The goal here is to find a perfect balance of points per message for your spam. Each one of the values would not necessarily be deem a message as spam on its own but if several fail then the chance of the message being scored being spam is considerably higher.

PLEASE NOTE - The spam protection filter will do nothing to the message except add a header line to the message. This header is then checked when a message is being delivered to a mailbox, and an action may be performed, depending on what the user has configured under their Spam Protection options. One of the following values depending on the score of points compared to the threshold you set in the spam protection values will be added:

X-ME-Spam: Low

X-ME-Spam: Medium

X-ME-Spam: High

Here is an article that helps with testing this service and explains a little more about its usage:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020493
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tonymuffin

Post by tonymuffin »

Where does it say in any of the KB articles that a JUNK folder will be created auto"magically"??

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I agree with you on this as it does not state this within the articles so we will update the article accordingly to include this information.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tonymuffin

Post by tonymuffin »

Then HOLY CRAP!!! Look at the length of this thread. Look at my original post. I state specifically where is the JUNK email folder???

This is one of the things that I can't stand about using ME... Trying to get support questions answered. Typically the original questions are NEVER read.... Holy crap!!!

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

The Junk Email folder is created if a message is delivered to the folder by the MailEnable Post Office Connector. If it is not there then you have not had a message delivered to there. So to use your terminology, yes the folder will be "Auto Magically" created when a message is to be moved/copied to the folder by the Post Office Connector.

The reasons for this not being created, hence why messages are not getting marked as spam are already answered by Ian above. I assume he already knew by your first message that the problem is not that the folder is not there but more so your understanding of the filtering and how messages end up in there. The fact that your initial question is now anwered by me above is clearly not going to be where this thread ends as you stated that something you have enabled should have delivered messages to the folder but there has not been any.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

tonymuffin

Post by tonymuffin »

I beg to differ... My original question was NOT answered until your reply.

So, now that we all know that the JUNK folder would should be created "auto-magically" if a message is delivered to the "folder by the MailEnable Post Office Connector". It's not clear which folder you are referring to in that statement. How can the MailEnable Post Office Connector deliver to that folder if the JUNK folder is not even present?

With that said... there is NO Junk Folder as indicated in my original post. I have checked Enable Mailbox Spam Filtering and have tried with all 3 Risk settings. No Junk Folder.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

It's not clear which folder you are referring to in that statement. How can the MailEnable Post Office Connector deliver to that folder if the JUNK folder is not even present?
The folder that is created by MailEnable when a message is marked as spam or a filter has an action to deliver to the Junk folder is "Junk E-Mail"
With that said... there is NO Junk Folder as indicated in my original post. I have checked Enable Mailbox Spam Filtering and have tried with all 3 Risk settings. No Junk Folder.
No Junk folder "Junk E-Mail" folder means that no messages have been marked as spam or marked to be delivered by the services.

If you want to test your Junk E-Mail folder then I suggest you create an MTA filter that actions on a subject phrase (Example *test*) with an action to "Mark Message As Spam". Then send a message to your mailbox with "test" in the subject this message should get sent to the Junk E-Mail folder and the folder should be created.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

mia11691

Post by mia11691 »

Funny... ran into the same problem where I could not find the junk folder... even though the spam statistics clearly stated that the message had been delivered to my junk folder.
10/28/15 16:56:28 [7.5] POSTOFFICE Message from: ****************@me.com was delivered to mailbox folder: \Junk E-mail
10/28/15 16:56:27 [8.5] POSTOFFICE Message was detected as spam

Waited with bated breath to read the end of this saga to see if complainant found the junk folder and where but nothing...
***lightbulb*** - lets refresh the webmail page and see what happens... and what do you know, the junk email folder showed up. (In case anyone runs into this issue) :D

helger

Post by helger »

I have the same issue, but last message here regarding refresh didn't work.
System:
Windows 2012 R2
Plesk 12.50.3
MailEnable Enterprise Plus Trial

What I have done so far:
Enabled spam protection both n Plesk and ticked on spamassasin in MailEnable (Under extension, message filter <enable> spamassasin - unsure if this is needed, but it was disabled so I enabled it..)
Set the postoffice feature selection for junk email to: Deliver junk email to junk email folder.
I also did the same on my personal webmail, also unsure if this is needed, seems quite redundant, but it was off my default even I turned it on on the postoffice properties.

Sent a test email with the GTUBE ("Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email") string, email is marked as spam and tagged with ***SPAM*** in subject, header also shows this:
"
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.1 (2015-04-28) on ********
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Level: **************************************************
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=1005.2 required=7.0 tests=FREEMAIL_FROM,GTUBE,
HTML_MESSAGE,RDNS_NONE,TVD_SPACE_RATIO,TVD_SPACE_RATIO_MINFP,T_DKIM_INVALID
autolearn=no autolearn_force=no version=3.4.1
X-Spam-Report:
* 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider
* (MY GMAIL....)
* (MY GMAIL....)
* 1000 GTUBE BODY: Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email
* 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
* 0.0 TVD_SPACE_RATIO No description available.
* 2.4 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
* 0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
* 2.7 TVD_SPACE_RATIO_MINFP No description available.
"

I see Junk-Email in the Account summary, but not in the folder list.
Spam is delivered directly to inbox.
Logs also informs delivery to inbox: 12/22/15 07:39:51 # [2F704CD9ECC842628C17E5E49C5597DE.MAI] Delivered message from [SMTP:....@gmail.com] to PO=......com MBX=helge FLD=\Inbox

Refreshed, logged out and in again, no difference.

kind regards,
Helge Rossvoll