Forward an E-Mail

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
meUser

Forward an E-Mail

Post by meUser »

Hello,

If I recieve an e-mail at "recieved@mydomain.com" via MailEnable, I would like then for MailEnable to forward this e-mail to an smtp server of my own creation on a different IP address. The reason for this is because is because I wish to have a certain event fire upon recieving the e-mail. I have already created the SMTP server and have tested it via yahoo to my server and it works fine.

i.e.

Send Mail to "recieved@mydomain.com"
Yahoo.com > MailEnable
MailEnable Forward > 192.168.0.2 SMTP Server

thank you

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

You can do this by smarthosting all mail that is received by MailEnable to another IP Address (or even another SMTP Server running on a different port on the same IP address).
Using the MMC Admin, select Servers|localhost|connectors|smtp. Right Click and select properties.
Select the Smarthost tab. Enable Smarthost specifying the IPAddress of your server.
You can optionally suffix a colon and then specify the port number. eg: 192.168.0.1:26.

This will effectively forward all non locally hosted domain messages to the specified address.

If you want to only forward messages addressed to a specific domain, using the MMC select Messenging Manager|Post Offices|{Your Postoffice}|Domains and double click on the domain.
click the option to act as smarthost and add the IPAddress of your other SMTP server. (you can also specify another port number using the same syntax outlined in the previous option).

Hope this helps,
Regards, Andrew

meUser

Post by meUser »

I apologize I left out an important issue, I wish to only forward e-mail that is recieved via one address the rest I wish for mail enable to keep. (i dont have an extra domain layin around just for forwarding!)

forward@domain.com > MailEnable
MailEnable > 192.196.0.2

differentmail@domain.com > MailEnable -stays for pop retrieval etc normal functions

thanks!

meUser

Post by meUser »

Please help me with this, it is very important to me! All it has to do is forward the mail from one e-mail address it recieves on to another smtp server by ip#.

Thank You

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The engine itself will do this, but the administration console will not allow it. To do this, you would need to edit the configuration files directly. This functionality will be exposed in the enterprise beta (through MTA transitions). The preferred option would be to wait until we implement the MTA rules engine - but this workaround will also suffice.

The basics of it are:

1.. Create a domain under your postoffice called redirect.domainname and smarthost this to your smtp server (as posted).

2.. Edit the address-map.tab file and place an entry in it that redirects all mail for the domain back out the smtp connector

If you send mail to support@mailenable.com I will fill in the gaps.
Regards, Andrew

meUser

Post by meUser »

Hello,

Thank you very much for the response!

I managed to do it like this:

1. Under default postoffice> Domains I added subdomain.mydomain.com
2. I created an e-mail box for test@domain.com
3. I set it up to forward all incoming mail to forward@subdomain.mydomain.com
4. I set up subdomain.mydomain.com to smarthost to 127.0.0.1:26

I am very glad it could do this!!!!!

I set this all up under the MMC without editing the maping file, this probably should be done under only the mapping file as it adds an extra mailbox directory that will never be used.

The only problem that I am having is that it is "slow"!

I have timed it after the e-mail has entered into the mailenable server system and to when it first contacted my smtp server which is local to the machine. While many would think this ridiculous that I would say it is slow because it takes an average of 15-20 seconds for this process to occur. I just assumed it would be faster once the mail is being processed internally. As my purpose for this is to retrieve the e-mail and then forward it via instant messanger to me. Thus the proccess could be called an instant mail =). However it takes a bit longer then an instant message! If this can not be fixed that is alright I'll live with it as its a fine e-mail package you have!

Thank You!!
meUser

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Hey thanks....

(not trying to brag) - but I knew it could be done with mailbox redirection but it uses alot of hops. ie: SMTP-IN -> MTA -> PO-OUT -> POC -> PO-IN -> MTA -> SMTP-OUT.... hence the delay.

The way I mentioned should only take a couple of seconds. We are implementating instant delivery an option within enterprise. (messages can be travel through ME services at virtually real-time).

Mail if you want an example of the address-map entry - alt. the syntax is defined in the system manual.
Regards, Andrew