MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Discussion, support and announcements for third party applications that work with MailEnable.
guswald

Re: MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Post by guswald »

Thanks i found the way to do it. I have another question. There is a problem with messages in the inbound folder. After a day of use the antispam does not delete some messages from the inbound folder. I have to delete them manually. I think its a bug. How can i fix it?
Thank you

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

MxScan does not delete messages from the Inbound folder. It works on messages that are in mxscan_hold1 folder and moves them back to the inbound folder.

The behaviour you are seeing most likely happens when the MailEnable MTA is unable to move the messages because the file is locked (for whatever reason), and this happens regardless of whether you have MxScan installed or not

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

guswald

Post by guswald »

So, how to fix this? When i use the antispam its happening and when im not using it, its working ok, so it has something to do with the antispam.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

Please check to see if you have any process like a resident based software firewall or AntiVirus that might be locking the files. You can also try reducing the number of MailEnable MTA Event threads to 16 (if you have more than that)

If you are still having issues, then please open a ticket via the MxUptime Customer portal so that we can take a further look at this.

Cheers
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

jpwilson

Post by jpwilson »

Hello,

We've been using MxScan for 3 weeks now and it's been pretty good so far. Our server processes around 15k emails a day with an average spam ratio in the neighborhood of 75%... which is better than our old filter solution. Since I'm now familiar with what the filter can do, I thought I'd throw a few feature suggestions out there -- there are a few I'd really love to have.

1. Show outgoing messages in the Log Viewer, even when only scanning incoming mail. Our old filter had a message trace that showed all mail passing through the filter, regardless if it was scanned or not. This was especially helpful when trying to pinpoint users sending mail that they shouldn't. As a workaround, I've simply enabled scanning for both in/out and then whitelisted most of my post office domains. More on this in a second...

2. Auto-refresh the Log Viewer every X seconds. I often watch the mail as its coming in to catch patterns or spam slipping through the filter. Unfortunately this means I have to manually hit F5 every 10 seconds or so.

3. Double-click record in Log Viewer to view details, if available. Basically if the message is still on the server, double-clicking would provide information similar to what the Quarantine Manager shows. It would also be nice if the actual log entries could be shown as well as they're more verbose and can be helpful when trying to find slowdowns.

4. Ability to save column width and position in the Log Viewer. Each time the Log Viewer is opened, all of the columns are the same width and I have to resize them to fit as much info on the screen as possible (1920x1080 widescreen). If I had to make a choice in sizes (compared to the current size), I'd prefer the Size/Time/Score columns at 50%, Type column at 80%, PostOffice column at 150%, Sender/Recipient/Action columns at 200%, Subject column at 300%, and the Scan Test column as far as it can go. While not as important to me, I noticed that you can also re-position the columns but nothing is saved when closed.

5. Add URLBL configuration test, similar to the RDNS test. We encountered an issue where one of the blacklists was timing out and it was difficult to track down. That one blacklist issue was adding 4+ seconds to processing each message and was really slowing the system down.

6. Ability to import data into the email whitelist (and blacklists I guess), or maybe just the ability to add more than 1 at a time. This came about as I was messing with the whitelist in #1 -- I had 125+ domains to enter and had to do it by hand since I couldn't find an easy way to enter multiple entries at once. It wasn't even really a concern until 115 entries randomly disappeared before I finished entering them... meaning I had to start over and save in intervals.

7. This is minor, but maybe add the ability to change the email content when using the SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor. I mention this because our server triggered the monitor when everyone was out-of-office and the email that was sent stated, "You are receiving this notice because you have enabled the MxScan SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor", which my boss thought meant that someone was enabling settings remotely at that very moment. While I knew what the email meant, I can see how he was easily confused. Maybe changing it to something like this would help: "You are receiving this notice because the MxScan SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor is enabled and the number of pending messages has exceeded the preset notification limit". Actually, being able to customize that template, similar to the the Daily Server Reports, would be great.

8. Weekly Server Reports. Its not a huge deal but it'd be nice to get weekly reports on Monday mornings. I'd actually prefer this over the daily reports.

I could come up with more I'm sure, but this is a fairly good list of things I've personally run into so far. I'm a programmer myself so I know that feature tweaks are sometimes pushed back, but a few of these would be fairly easy and I think most (if not all) customers would consider them improvements. Anyway, I think I've rambled long enough.

Thanks again.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Thank you for your feedback. Please see below for my comments
jpwilson wrote: 1. Show outgoing messages in the Log Viewer, even when only scanning incoming mail. Our old filter had a message trace that showed all mail passing through the filter, regardless if it was scanned or not. This was especially helpful when trying to pinpoint users sending mail that they shouldn't. As a workaround, I've simply enabled scanning for both in/out and then whitelisted most of my post office domains. More on this in a second...
In the present model, the messages are processed by MxScan in batches. If the filter is set to incoming/outgoing mode this means each message will first need to be moved to a processing queue and then moved back after processing. Its only through this process that they get logged in the "log viewer". So for performance reasons if the filter is set to only incoming (which is what MxScan is primarily designed for) there will be a reduction in Disk IO/resources required to process the messages. When faced with a choice of performance vs. niceToHave features we tend to go with the former.
jpwilson wrote: 2. Auto-refresh the Log Viewer every X seconds. I often watch the mail as its coming in to catch patterns or spam slipping through the filter. Unfortunately this means I have to manually hit F5 every 10 seconds or so.
For performance reasons we will most likely also not be doing this because there is a possibility that a user could leave the GUI running on the server with auto-refresh activated and then disconnect before closing MxScan. Each parse of the log files requires reading and parsing the entire file.
jpwilson wrote: 3. Double-click record in Log Viewer to view details, if available. Basically if the message is still on the server, double-clicking would provide information similar to what the Quarantine Manager shows. It would also be nice if the actual log entries could be shown as well as they're more verbose and can be helpful when trying to find slowdowns.
Request noted for consideration
jpwilson wrote: 4. Ability to save column width and position in the Log Viewer. Each time the Log Viewer is opened, all of the columns are the same width and I have to resize them to fit as much info on the screen as possible (1920x1080 widescreen). If I had to make a choice in sizes (compared to the current size), I'd prefer the Size/Time/Score columns at 50%, Type column at 80%, PostOffice column at 150%, Sender/Recipient/Action columns at 200%, Subject column at 300%, and the Scan Test column as far as it can go. While not as important to me, I noticed that you can also re-position the columns but nothing is saved when closed.
Request noted for consideration.
jpwilson wrote: 5. Add URLBL configuration test, similar to the RDNS test. We encountered an issue where one of the blacklists was timing out and it was difficult to track down. That one blacklist issue was adding 4+ seconds to processing each message and was really slowing the system down.
We will consider adding this in a future release
jpwilson wrote: 6. Ability to import data into the email whitelist (and blacklists I guess), or maybe just the ability to add more than 1 at a time. This came about as I was messing with the whitelist in #1 -- I had 125+ domains to enter and had to do it by hand since I couldn't find an easy way to enter multiple entries at once. It wasn't even really a concern until 115 entries randomly disappeared before I finished entering them... meaning I had to start over and save in intervals.
jpwilson wrote: 7. This is minor, but maybe add the ability to change the email content when using the SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor. I mention this because our server triggered the monitor when everyone was out-of-office and the email that was sent stated, "You are receiving this notice because you have enabled the MxScan SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor", which my boss thought meant that someone was enabling settings remotely at that very moment. While I knew what the email meant, I can see how he was easily confused. Maybe changing it to something like this would help: "You are receiving this notice because the MxScan SMTP Outbound Queue Monitor is enabled and the number of pending messages has exceeded the preset notification limit". Actually, being able to customize that template, similar to the the Daily Server Reports, would be great.
jpwilson wrote: 8. Weekly Server Reports. Its not a huge deal but it'd be nice to get weekly reports on Monday mornings. I'd actually prefer this over the daily reports.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

We are pleased to announce the latest release of MxScan Professional ver 2.7.100 available for download via the customer portal.

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

WimVM

Post by WimVM »

Hi,

Is MXScan currently compatible with MailEnable 7.02 on Windows 2012?

Thank you

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

WimVM wrote:Hi,

Is MXScan currently compatible with MailEnable 7.02 on Windows 2012?

Thank you

Hi

I just did a test install with MailEnable 7.02 on windows Server 2012 and encountered no issues. so yes you should be able to run it with this combo

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Charnchon

Post by Charnchon »

Will it work with MailEnable 7.02 Professional version? The MailEnable itself has SpamAssassin comes with it. There's no customizing option and it failed to run on my server though.

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Charnchon wrote:Will it work with MailEnable 7.02 Professional version? The MailEnable itself has SpamAssassin comes with it. There's no customizing option and it failed to run on my server though.
May I know what failed on your server? MailEnable SpamAssassin or the MxScan Install?

The Mxscan installation of spamAssassin works out of the box with the default install and there should not be any issues. And yes it works with ME 7.02

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

Charnchon

Post by Charnchon »

The SpamAssassin on ME 7.02 Pro doesn't run on my server. And there are also other spam options that turned off by default. No way to know how to turn them on as there's still no docs of ME 7 come out from MailEnable.

Does MXScan work with the Pro version of ME 7.02? I asked because there are some overlapping of features such as SpamAssassin and Clam Anti Virus. :?

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Charnchon wrote:The SpamAssassin on ME 7.02 Pro doesn't run on my server. And there are also other spam options that turned off by default. No way to know how to turn them on as there's still no docs of ME 7 come out from MailEnable.

Does MXScan work with the Pro version of ME 7.02? I asked because there are some overlapping of features such as SpamAssassin and Clam Anti Virus. :?
The MxScan install of SpamAssassin and ClamAV works out of the box with MailEnable 7.02. MxScan-ClamD is configured to run on alternate port so there should be no conflicts.

As to why the SpamAssassin from MailEnable does not run on your server, you can try contacting ME support as they will in a better position to assist you. Having said that though, from what I can see MailEnable 7.02 does not include a SpamAssassin port but instead just provides an interface for you to talk to an external SpamD daemon for the lookups.

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Hi

We are pleased to announce the latest release of MxScan Professional ver 2.7.201 available for download via the customer portal.

Cheers
Visit www.mxuptime.com

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Hi polarisie,
Thank you for the notification. I have updated mine to this latest release. Lately I have noticed a tremendous amount of spam passing (like 10-20 a day) to the Inbox. When I look at the scores and origins, all are from the US and have a score of 4.1 but they are all unkinkable hoses and junk like that. Will the country IP scoring fix this? I'd rather not increase the US country score too high because I had issues a few weeks ago where we were getting too much legit e-mail from the US landing in the Junk E-mail folder (which got a good number of people mad at me).
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!