ClamAV Engine Update

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
aram

ClamAV Engine Update

Post by aram »

ClamAV developers update their engine periodically.
The version of clamdscan.exe and other ClamAV files installed with 6.54 Enterprise is .96.9.9
dated Jan 2, 2011. That is quite old.
Their newest clamdscan version is .97.5

What method should be used to update ClamAV installed with MailEnable ?

Dan

Brett Rowbotham

Re: ClamAV Engine Update

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

I got mine updated with the download from http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/. It is currently at 0.97.4.

Cheers,
Brett

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You can use the ClamAv method located here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamav/ ... mav/win32/. Run the relevant installer and point to the MailEnable > Anti virus > Clam Av folder. Once complete run "Freshclam.exe" in the ClamAV folder to see if its all up to date.

We are looking at including the latest version in the upcoming release. I don't have a release date.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

aram

Post by aram »

Ok..I see ClamAV offers an 64 or 32 bit version.
I run Windows 2008 R2 64 bit.
Is the ClamAV installed by ME 64 or 32 bit ?

Dan

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

MailEnable-Ian wrote:Hi,

You can use the ClamAv method located here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamav/ ... mav/win32/. Run the relevant installer and point to the MailEnable > Anti virus > Clam Av folder. Once complete run "Freshclam.exe" in the ClamAV folder to see if its all up to date.

We are looking at including the latest version in the upcoming release. I don't have a release date.
Using these instructions I get error: Can't change dir to Drive:\ME\Antivirus\ClamAV\database after running "Freshclam.exe"

You must rename, Drive:\ME\Antivirus\ClamAV\db to Drive:\ME\Antivirus\ClamAV\database and then rerun freshclam.exe

However after doing this I am unable to start the clamAV services and reinstalling Mailenable does not fix the problem, what is the best method to reinstall ClamAV for ME 6.57?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You need to download the 32bit version.

Where do you see the path errors?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail »

Brett Rowbotham wrote:I got mine updated with the download from http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/. It is currently at 0.97.4.
Brett
I'm resurrecting this thread to give Brett Rowbotham's post my Selected Best Answer vote.

I'm running Enterprise Premium 6.56 on Server 2008 R2.
Following another post, I updated with another version of ClamAV but found my services refused to start.

One problem was a library file was hard coded to look for the conf files at C:\ClamAV.
I hex-edited the library file and that solved my .conf path issues but my Freshclam and ClamD services still wouldn't start.

Turns out that none of the other versions of ClamD.exe will run it as a service using the --daemon switch.
However the one at http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/ does.

I just unzipped the version for 64bit Windows and copied the files right over top of my existing files at C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Antivirus\ClamAV.
I also had to download+unzip the Microsoft.VC80.8.0.50727.6195.CRT.amd64.7z bundle and copy the entire \Microsoft.VC80.CRT folder into my C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Antivirus\ClamAV folder.

Once Freshclam updated the database my services started right up.

BigBig thanks to Brett Rowbotham

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers,
Brett

crnunez

Post by crnunez »

Hello,
Does MaileEnableV7 ClamAV 64 bits supported? Or Is ClamAV 64 bits working with V7?

Thanks.
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

MXScan uses Clam AV and is up to date with the latest definitions.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

aram

Post by aram »

Does ME Enterprise version 7.50 have an updated Clam A/V install included ?

-Dan

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Yes.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

aram

Post by aram »

excellent...thanks..
-Dan

ottodoc

Post by ottodoc »

Hoping to get some assistance upgrading ClamAV's scan engine using the method outlined by Brett Rowbotham and Noah Vail.

I'm running Enterprise 7.51 on a W2K8R2-64 box with an Intel Quad CPU. I stopped Clam's scan and update services. From http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav, I downloaded clamav-win32-0.97.8.7z and replaced existing files at C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Antivirus\ClamAV. I also placed the folder from Microsoft.VC80.8.0.50727.6195.CRT.x86.7z in the same directory. When I attempt to restart the scan service, it fails (Error 1053). The update service starts just fine.

UPDATE: With the assistance of ME's wonderful support staff, I was able to update the ClamAV engine by performing the above steps AND editing the clamd.conf file (with Notepad - run as administrator). Basically, you just need to edit the paths for the log file and database directory to match the ME installation paths. The contents of clamd.conf should look something like:

TCPSocket 3310
MaxThreads 2
LogFile C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Antivirus\ClamAV\clamd.log
DatabaseDirectory C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Antivirus\ClamAV\db

That's it! :D
Last edited by ottodoc on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

For years I have used MXScan with its antivirus--even though ME has an antivirus engine. Disable the engine in ME. Depending on the number of accounts, you can run the lite edition.
Robert Williams, Owner