Can't Get Working (sorry, can't be more specific in theSubj)

MailEnable Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - for EAS enabled devices (including iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Android, Nokia, etc).
VorlonShadow

Can't Get Working (sorry, can't be more specific in theSubj)

Post by VorlonShadow »

Ok. This is my 3rd day trying to get ActiveSync working... I'm very green here, having never worked with ActiveSync at all, let along figuring out how to get this thing to work. After many a try, I finally figured out how to get it activated. Now, are my problems:

I can't figure out how to turn an existing mailbox into an Exchange mailbox. I am probably misunderstanding how this works, so, someone told me it doesn't work that way, you have to delete your existing POP3 email account in Outlook, then add it back in as an Exchange account. I've tried that, but when I do, I get a message "The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action". When I run the mailenable.com/tools/activesync tool it tells me that everything is fine, but when I try to add my email address as an Exchange instead of a POP3, I get this message.

I think there are other problems, but we'll start there. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jesse

Netsupply

Re: Can't Get Working (sorry, can't be more specific in theS

Post by Netsupply »

It works for mobile clients but not for Outlook.

You need to use the connector and use the Mailenable server in the choice box when you install.

I couldnt get it to work either in outlook, but fine on mobile devices.

VorlonShadow

Post by VorlonShadow »

If it doesn't work in Outlook, what good is that? The primary reason we purchased this is to use it in outlook. Using on mobile devices is great (and needed), but the main reason is Outlook. So, we just wasted $200?

kather

Post by kather »

from version ME 7.53 EAS is working with Outlook 2013; and I must say that it's working fine. Better then the MAPI connector.

they did - again - some great work (no I'm not working for ME but just a satisfied customer).

VorlonShadow

Post by VorlonShadow »

I'm using Outlook 2007, but can't even get passed adding the account to outlook. It tells me to close Outlook and use the Mail icon in the control panel, which is what I did.

I saw there is an update for 7.53. I will probably try to upgrade to that this weekend and we'll see if that takes care of the problem.

I think it may be that I don't have an SSL on that particular sub-domain (we don't have a wild card SSL), but the instructions indicate that you can do this w/o an SSL. If it does require an SSL, I was thinking about adding a self-signed certificate and see if that works.

Jesse

kather

Post by kather »

what I know it's only working with Outlook 2013
and we don't use a SSL certificat

VorlonShadow

Post by VorlonShadow »

ONLY working with 2013? We have a variety of clients in our company. Some on Outlook 2007, some on Outlook 2013, some using the mail client that comes with the Mac, etc. If this solution isn't going to work across the board, then I need to just stop wasting my time and ask for a refund I guess.

kather

Post by kather »

you can use the (free) MAPI component but 1) every client have to download and install it 2) there are several requirements for the local situation. I have used it for a long time and it was not always stable on several workstations (different OS and Outlook versions). But there were also many local situations the component just worked fine. There are some threads on another forum (concerning MAPI) describing the problems.

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

SSL required in most cases, Activesync for Outlook 2013 was just released but it isn't working well (at all) yet. Use MAPI connector for all other versions of outlook if you want calendar, task and contact sync. Otherwise use IMAP.
---
Shaun Rieman
Advanced Micro Technologies, LLC

VorlonShadow

Post by VorlonShadow »

Yes, after talking with Tech Support, I have confirmed that it ONLY works with 2013 (and it looks like it doesn't do that well with it). So, we just got a refund. We aren't willing to upgrade to their enterprise version right now for calendar sharing (not sure how that works anyway). We're just going to put the decision off on this for another year and just deal with it as best as we can.

Jesse

aahq

Post by aahq »

Vorlon,

I recommend getting an understanding of the "behind the scenes" how ME works. It is much cheaper than Exchange and other options but does require some knowledge behind the GUI interfaces.

The ME Outlook Connector is quite good. Can't say I have tried the EAS so couldn't comment. We have been running Enterprise for a few years now and in the early days when we didn't understand the back end we used to swear at it a lot, but now we are happy. Management do not even flinch at the $300 version upgrades. I can only suggest hanging in there.

Regards,

Scott

VorlonShadow

Post by VorlonShadow »

We might consider it, but the "advertising" on this seemed to be misleading. What they describe seems to indicate that ActiveSync will work with Outlook (no specific version mentioned), so our assumption was that it will work with at least the most recent versions (2007, 2010, etc), but that evidentially isn't the case. So, that "false advertising" turned us off to begin with. Secondarily, I'm not getting a lot in the way of support. I realize it's a cheaper option, and therefore will require a lot of "self help", but I really don't have a lot of time to "figure it all out". Really, all we want anyway is a shared calendar and there are a lot of products out there that will do this We'll keep looking and see what happens.

Jesse

aahq

Post by aahq »

Up to you, at the end. There are alternative products. I know this one is reasonable.
I really suggest that asking the individuals personally who reply on the forum will give you a lot of free good advice.

PM me or someone like RF Williams. Sometimes the advice is free in a world where nothing is free.

At the end, I say "hang in there".

Scott