Opinions/Advice Requested: Activesync

MailEnable Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - for EAS enabled devices (including iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Android, Nokia, etc).
mf_scott

Opinions/Advice Requested: Activesync

Post by mf_scott »

I have a new customer that is interested in using the Exchange/ActiveSync features of ME. We have not yet implemented this feature, and I have some concerns about whether or not we really want to take on the additional support burden and storage requirements this will entail. We currently host POP/IMAP email mostly as a convenience to our web hosting customers to give them a single point of contact for support. We provide around 250MB per mailbox of storage (a pittance compared to the likes of Gmail, etc., I know). I'm thinking to be useful we are going to need to allow for at least 1GB of storage per mailbox for customers using Exchange/ActiveSync, which we can do. My biggest concern is with an influx of support calls related to the new functionality.

I'm looking for opinions/experiences from ME admins that provide email hosting to customers using the ActiveSync feature. Things I'm curious about are:
1. Your overall opinion/experience with the maturity and stability of the feature - have you seen a lot of additional time spent on administering/supporting this feature?
2. How difficult did you find the install/config process to get things up, running and stable?
3. Do your users find it fairly intuitive to use, or do you wind up hand-holding a lot of people and answering myriad questions?
4. From a server resource standpoint, have you seen an appreciable difference in memory usage/ CPU load, I/O, etc. on your server?
5. General overall thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

teleunion

Re: Opinions/Advice Requested: Activesync

Post by teleunion »

hello

we have Windows Server 2012 R2 + ME8.51 Enterprise Premium + EAS
we just use it for our own Domain (~150 Clients, ~10 EAS-Clients)
Your overall opinion/experience with the maturity and stability of the feature - have you seen a lot of additional time spent on administering/supporting this feature?
until now EAS works quite well with iphone, android, windows-phone, Outlook
also autodiscovery works with most Clients

the only Problem we have is with oulook2013, where mails with appointments are not shown correctly

except the one mentioned Point, it works great.
How difficult did you find the install/config process to get things up, running and stable?
activating the EAS-licences was easy, autodiscovery was a bit tricky, but as i know this process has been improved
Do your users find it fairly intuitive to use, or do you wind up hand-holding a lot of people and answering myriad questions?
some Clients use IMAP, WebDAV and LDAP ... that is much more complex that just connecting to one EAS-Account ;)
From a server resource standpoint, have you seen an appreciable difference in memory usage/ CPU load, I/O, etc. on your server?
NO - BUT the Server we use is supersized compared to our usage ;)
General overall thoughts or advice?
you can activate a 30-day test-period where you just can test anything, use it!

hope it helps

mf_scott

Re: Opinions/Advice Requested: Activesync

Post by mf_scott »

Your response is much appreciated - thanks!

-Mike