What Anti Virus Software do you use? Why?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.

What Anti Virus Software do you use?

F-Prot
28%
AVG
22%
McAffee
18%
Norman
1%
Norton
21%
Panda
6%
Sophos
4%

Total votes: 82

MANAR

What Anti Virus Software do you use? Why?

Post by MANAR »

We are currently using AVG with Mailenable Pro, but with Grisofts new pricestructure we are forced to look at a new Anti Virus Software.

We hope the Poll will benefit us all.

You are also welcome to tell us why you use and prefer that software.

Enjoy your day :wink:

wunder

Post by wunder »

We use Norton on the desktop. I don't rely on server-side virus scanning because several people have multiple email accounts from servers I don't have control over. We've been using Norton for a long time. I'm getting tempted to switch as it's been very unstable since 2003 version was released.

We also use killsobig2 MTA event to stop the sobigs and other script-based viruses at the server.
John Wunderlin
All-Pro Sports Software
http://www.allprosoftware.com

my_forum_id

Post by my_forum_id »

I'm brand new to mailenable (3 days or so into the demo on an ensim box) and have just installed a trial version of F-prot for windows.

Worked fine straight away and contrary to some of the posts here it detects and deletes viruses from .zips (detects all 4 types from eicar.com).

It's cheap and it works so I'll be sticking with it . . . .

JLoberg

Post by JLoberg »

I agree with one of the other users, you should not soley count on e-mail virus scanning as your only method of protection. It is a good first step, but you should have multiple layers of Virus dection.

And using a different companies AV software at a level (ie mail server, desktop and if your really big firewall) has the advantage that each level or different company may catch something the other one did not.

Jerry

Slicer101

Post by Slicer101 »

My major hitter is F-Secure for my Servers and Workstations. For some reason after a the last few updates to ME, the server version was not working like it once did. I still have it loaded and running on the servers, but have put the free DOS version of F-Prot in place for the MTA use and everything is working just fine. I have not had one single infected e-mail get through to any of my users.

tahjah

F-Prot

Post by tahjah »

I originally chose F-Prot over Sophos since it was cheaper and the UI looked more up to date. I wish I would have chosen Sophos since Kerio WinRoute Firewall's integrated AV scanning doesn't support F-Prot, but does work with Sophos. I asked Kerio if they planned to add F-Prot or others, but they said no. F-Prot is a great AV overall.

MANAR

Post by MANAR »

!!

MANAR

Post by MANAR »

Any idea which one of the most popular one here is the cheapest: Norton, F-Prot and McAffee ?

Which one have the best features ?
Which one do you recommend, if you focus on the price-feature mix ?

Thank you very much, Regards

sysmgr

Post by sysmgr »

I use norton, the corp version (dos), have absolutely no problems once I shut off webmail which was hogging the cpu. We were getting sobigf every 6 seconds, and no problems.

Every day I do the updates and we are all set...

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Try adding the folder indexing DLL that is available in the beta downloads areas. This stopped the CPU issue I had with webmail.

I know it is a beta, but I have not had any problems with it for a number of months since installing it and you can still use webmail.

json

Post by json »

My plan was to use F-Prot AV, but I can't seem to get it to work (it doesn't even block the eicar virus), so now I've installed and am testing Panda AV. Before buying the Panda AV, I will probably give F-Prot another try.

(Any ideas as why it doesn't work ?? Is there a log that can tell me whether it works or not ??)

regards,
J.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

You can view exactly what the MTA is doing when scanning files as follows: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?aid=121

Note: You should not use the /AUTO switch with current versions of F-Prot. Please see: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?aid=130
Regards, Andrew

MANAR

Post by MANAR »

I thank Mailenable for this great link:
http://www.mailenablecorp.com/kb/Conten ... D=me020144

This info helped me a lot in choosing a new AV-Software.

json

Post by json »

Thanks to support and MANAR.

Now I got Panda AND F-Prot working, so now I just have to decide whether I want to pay for both or just one.

regards,
J.

ccaldwell

What switches should I use with Norton?

Post by ccaldwell »

All,

Does anyone know what the best switches to use with Norton Corp 7.6 Dos? I have seen the list and added a few to teh end of the exe. I sent test emails from another account but it didn't catch them. Thanks!

ccaldwell