Creating new Mailboxes

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
jwill

Creating new Mailboxes

Post by jwill » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:35 pm

This just started the other day.
All new mailboxes do not work.
Everything is set up correctly but I received this bounced back message.

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<server.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local>

All the accounts are set up correctly.

Here is what I found besides the error.

When I log into webmail with any account prior to this problem, under options, settings it says the email address for the Default user.

Any new mailboxes I create, don't have a default user associated with it.

I tried to create a new mailbox on a domain already created, no default user is displayed.
I tried to set up a completely new domain and mailbox etc. and still no default user is displayed.

The services and the server have been restarted since this has been happening.

Is there something I am missing that would be causing this?
Does anyone have a similar issue or had it in the past?

Thanks in advance for help.
Jwill

jwill

Creating New Mailboxes

Post by jwill » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm

I did find a temporary solution.

On the MailEnable server, I have to manually, with every new e-mail I set up, go to the mailbox, right click, go to addresses and add a reply address. After entering that it enables the [smpt: e-mail] for that domain.

This will allow that e-mail to finally work.

However doing this for every mailbox i set up on every domain will take too much time?

Any Ideas what is causing this?
Corrupt File?
Does anyone know what file within mailenable does this function?

I appreciate you help!
Thanks!

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:02 am

This will most likely be a result of permission deficiencies on the MailEnable configuration files. Run the MEInstaller (Start->Run->meinstaller.exe) and execute the options 1-3 which will reset permisisons for MailEnable.

Also that message returned is not a MailEnable error maybe this is your problem. Check your DNS settings also make sure that the MS SMTP service is not running on the server.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

jwill

Problems when setting up E-mail!

Post by jwill » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Since we have had this problem we have restarted the server and reset the permissions.

The problem I noticed is when setting up new e-mail accounts. They are set up correctly, they still didn't work. We get an error stating

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<server.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local>

We found a work around for the time being.
What we do after we create a new e-mail address we have to go into the address tab of the mailbox.

Where is says Email Address for Mailbox:
It is blank.
This is why were we getting the error. It doesn't exist.

This is where the software isn't adding the e-mail address like it used to so we have to manually do it.

Is there a corrupt file?

We have done updates since then and still no luck?

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

THanks!

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:05 pm

It looks like another SMTP service is running on the server when you telnet to your server what is the response?

Command Prompt->telnet mx.record.com 25
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

jwill

Email address not added when setting up a new mailbox.

Post by jwill » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Hey Ben

I went ahead and did what you said.

220 mail1.domain.com ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 0--2.37 ready at 3/09/07 14:24:04

But why would this matter if that worked?

If had had more that one mail program running, the e-mail address should still be added when a new mailbox was created.

I set up a new domain with a new mailbox and I checked the postoffice that is set up as default. On the address tab the e-mail is listed as [smpt:postmaster@domain.com]
This does work correctly.

When setting up any new mailbox on a current or new domain the address tab doesn't show any [smtp:user@domain.com]

I have to maunaully add it.

Any ideas?

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:03 am

This typically points to permissions being denied for the IME_ADMIN account when trying to add the entries in the configuration files.

The reason I got you to check if another SMTP service was running was the error that was returned did not seem to be from a MailEnable server. So wanted to make sure the problems you were having were actually related.

Also make sure the domain exists for the post office.

If this does not help then I suggest you submit a support ticket through the MailEnable web site so we can review the server.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

jwill

Creating new mailboxes.

Post by jwill » Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm

I have found the solution.

Right Click on messaging manager in MailEnable.
Messaging Manager Properties comes up.

There is a check box for:
Automatically create an email address for each domain, with every new mailbox created.

This was unchecked.

After it was check it worked as it done before.

Not sure how this was ever disabled.

Thanks!

FabulousFabian

Post by FabulousFabian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:38 am

I have almost the same problem. When I create a new mailbox for an existing domain, and I try to send mail to it, I get the following response:

'test@fabulous-is.nl' op 9-10-2007 11:34
550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local

The mailbox shows in the management console. I can login via webmail on the account.
When I open the properties of the mailbox in the management console, switch to the tab Addresses, and I press 'Add E-mail', I get the following error: You need to add a domain before adding mailbox mappings.

I have no idea how to solve this. Can anyone help me?

isaak

Post by isaak » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:23 pm

You have to add a domain for your mailboxes.

Browse through the MMC:

MailEnable Management|Messaging Manager|Post Offices|fabulous-is.nl|Domains

There, at the right panel do a "right click" and choose NEW.

Good luck...

FabulousFabian

Post by FabulousFabian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:05 pm

That worked! I don't know why there weren't any domains there, they seemed to have disappeared...
Anyway, thanks for your help!