Antivirus Test Problems

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
harlequin

Antivirus Test Problems

Post by harlequin » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:05 am

Hi there, i am having trouble with my anti virus package which seemed fine up until recently.

I run f-prot and mefilter and recently had clients complain of increased virus's making it through to their machines

I went to test the antivirus on the MTA and first i get a 'Command line scanner returned : 128' then if i click ok it says 'there appears to be an error with the antivirus configuration. Please check your settings and make sure no resident scanner is active.'

I have checked settings over and over, i have uninstalled and re-installed fprot, i have even tried using an old copy of AVG6 just to see if the test button works but that gave its own errors along the lines of 'bad filename or number...' I have re-installed f-prot again.

In desperation i downgraded from 1.2pro to 1.19 and again the error messages persist.

I have monitored my processes in task manager and nothing seems out of place (i.e. a 'resident scanner' or possible trojans).

Can anyone offer any insight into this ?

Thanks
Steve Quinn

harlequin

PLEASE REPLY SUPPORT

Post by harlequin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:55 pm

Hello again, can site support reply to this please, i have a fully registered copy and need help!

Further from the above, these error messages are still happening when i 'test antivirus', i have now installed and tried the mail enable filter just for fileextensions and that doesnt work either. I did that incase somehow the MEFilter was conflicting with the antivirus.

So, my conclusion is that my installation is corrupt in some way more than a simple install over the top of the old one can fix, however i am extrememly reluctant to uninstall the app completely and reinstall that way as we have over 1000 boxes all with mail in them and probably lots of forwarding / mapping going on that would be disastrous should we lose it...

help please...

ps...

running Win2k fully patched
MSSQL Server fully patched
mailenable pro 1.2a
few hundred post offices
probably 1000+ mailboxes
MeFilter
F-Prot

Also, must admit it seems to be a bit of a hit and miss affair to get antivirus working with mailenable, your comments about each antivirus that integrates doesnt really inspire confidence at the moment, its almost like f-prot is the only one that doesnt require you to jump through hoops, and yet it seems from other comments in this forum that f-prots 'hook' or something has been malfunctioning since 1.19.

I mention this because due to the problems i am experienceing, i would have installed ANY major antivirus package if it stops this problem, licencing whatever wouldnt trouble me, but after looking at your comments for each package, i am reluctant to spend hundreds of pounds / dollars on a solution that seems to bring more problems with it than solutions...

Symantec : Take particular care etc are your comments....I do not want problems, we are busy enough without having to mess about with workaround solutions and potential mail problems....again reading other comments about Symantec in these forums we decide against this solution.

Sophos : Monthly updates ? well forgive me for not being comfortable with that...

AVG7: needs registry hacks AND it doesnt scan inside zipfiles, useless is the word i would use to describe that..

Panda: looks like a whole bag of worry from your own comments...we did try this one and guess what, it all but crippled mssql with its install of MSDE, NOT recommended for servers running mssql.

Macafee: looks neither easy to install / use and is potentially difficult to licence or source.

That leaves me with Norman which i am trying now but if that has problems too, i may reluctantly have to start considering other email software that has say good virus, spam checking etc as i worry that mailenable with its plugins needed (mefilter rocks for what it does) and its antivirus problems may not be able to cope with the ever increasing load on our email servers from spam and virus.

Heres another issue whilst im on a roll, why is it that you can set the number of failed recipients or commands that barrs an ip adress from your server, but you cannot bar an ip address that has tripped a filter for spam 5 times.

I was hoping that the new 'beta' mailenable filter would have this feature (i.e. it picks up five spam and barrs that ip address) but as thats not working either i have a dilemma.....

i would love to keep mailenable as its performed well up till now but with the ongoing barrage from spammers and virus, can it keep up with the competition ??? Can its support team get back to me on this serious issue ??

Lets see..

thanks.
Steve Quinn

harlequin

well, there you go

Post by harlequin » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:06 pm

no big surprise that admin havent bothered there arses to reply to this, it must mean that a)its a genuine problem that will cause some work, or b) I am not one of the favoured forum users who gets replys.

It seems that quite a lot of urgent requests for support from registered users gets ignored.

Maybe its time to put your prices up a little bit, then you could afford staff to support your registered users.

How many people work for mailenable, 2, 3, i bet you dont have many more than that....

well mailenable, i am off to peruse some other email software and i will be back to this forum to let people know what other software actually works correctly and is supported well.

I know you will delete my future posts on that subject, but i will keep posting them and eventually people will wonder why im so pissed of and hopefully consider their own position if you are still crap by then.

Seriously guys, aren't you embarressed by the sheer amount of support requests that never get answered in these forums ?

dissapointed

MartynK

Post by MartynK » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:30 pm

How about posting a message using the actual support form ?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:22 pm

Well I must say that I have to agree. It is virtually impossible to track support requests via the forum - (which is why it is NEVER advocated as a support channel - even though that forms a large percentage of its use).

The support section on the web site outlines the request submission process. It provides a tracking number, ticklers, all the normal stuff that ensures an outcome.
Regards, Andrew

harlequin

just desperate guys

Post by harlequin » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:52 am

sorry, didnt know about the support area, really.

posting there now.....

will come back and eat humble pie if they fix it quickly....

steve
Steve Quinn

Brett Rowbotham

Extremely rude

Post by Brett Rowbotham » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:31 am

So your lack of knowledge is enough reason to write that extremely rude rant about MailEnable ? In my opinion you were way out of line and should be apologising to the staff at MailEnable for your bullying tactics and rude behaviour.

Why don't you go and investigate some other mail products and spare us all your presence ?

Brett

carollee

Re: Antivirus Test Problems

Post by carollee » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:43 am

harlequin wrote:Hi there, i am having trouble with my anti virus package which seemed fine up until recently.

I run f-prot and mefilter and recently had clients complain of increased virus's making it through to their machines

I went to test the antivirus on the MTA and first i get a 'Command line scanner returned : 128' then if i click ok it says 'there appears to be an error with the antivirus configuration. Please check your settings and make sure no resident scanner is active.'

I have checked settings over and over, i have uninstalled and re-installed fprot, i have even tried using an old copy of AVG6 just to see if the test button works but that gave its own errors along the lines of 'bad filename or number...' I have re-installed f-prot again.

In desperation i downgraded from 1.2pro to 1.19 and again the error messages persist.

I have monitored my processes in task manager and nothing seems out of place (i.e. a 'resident scanner' or possible trojans).

Can anyone offer any insight into this ?

Thanks
Did you solve your problem? I'm having this problem too 'there appears to be an error with the antivirus configuration. Please check your settings and make sure no resident scanner is active.' Anyone can help?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:48 pm

MailEnable relies on the F-Prot command line scanner to return appropriate error codes. If F-Prot returns an error other than that MailEnable is expecting then it wil not work.

The best thing to do, is to ensure that your using the default settings for F-Prot.
If F-Prot is returning error codes then perhaps then try re-installing it.

Are you getting the same error code as harlequin?
Regards, Andrew

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:31 pm

support wrote:MailEnable relies on the F-Prot command line scanner to return appropriate error codes. If F-Prot returns an error other than that MailEnable is expecting then it wil not work.

The best thing to do, is to ensure that your using the default settings for F-Prot.

I'm using NAVCE 7.5, but when i click on the test, it show me a windows "Please check your settings and make sure no resident scanner is active" , but i already disable the real-time scanner. what should i do?

bigsuma

F-PROT with the NEW 1.5G

Post by bigsuma » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:51 am

My F-PROT has been working up until now .. I get the same 128 Response code ive checked the command line config and nothing's changed except upgrading ME Pro to 1.2a to 1.5g

Im running F-PROT 3.14e

support wrote:MailEnable relies on the F-Prot command line scanner to return appropriate error codes. If F-Prot returns an error other than that MailEnable is expecting then it wil not work.